As I begin this post, tears come to my eyes. My dinosaur Charlie, traveling companion across many a continents, scribe of digital memories, the beaten & abused Pentax Optio-750Z has...*sigh*...officially died after 10 years of dedicated service. He passed quickly after realizing that he was no longer capable of reading memory cards, leaving Meredith without a camera in the first week of her 3 month stint in Sydney. What ever to do?
The death of the dinosaur was inconvenient, tragic & tragically inconvenient, but all things considered, timely as well. I've been meaning to buy myself a more respectable camera, that is one not held together by a singular hair tie, and take up photography because of my affinity for the art of picture taking. Saturday, I took the plunge and could not be happier. My Canon is quickly becoming my new best friend and despite the extra weight, a just as reliable traveling companion. We're still getting used to each other, but evinced by the photos below, I think that this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.
Camera aside, I discovered a few more things this weekend about Australia. I feel compelled to share.
- People are tall and make no apologies for it. I went out on Friday night, wearing flats. My mistake. All the girls who are my my height to begin with were in 3 inch heels at a minimum. I felt short, a sensation all together new to me. In Boston I'm usually at least an ozone level above everyone walking down the street. Not here. Looks like I'm dusting those heels off for next weekend. Can't wait!
- Sydney is a beautiful city, and every park, wharf, open air restaurant, garden, festival, etc. was created to facilitate your enjoyment of the city. Wednesday, I had chance to walk around the Harbour at night, the very night the dinosaur died. (God rest his camera soul.) It was one of those nights were you sit, incredulously absorb your surroundings, and pinch yourself to make sure you're not dreaming.
- Sydney also has a very active Salsa culture. I'm going to be testing out a few venues next week. More to come...
Activities for this past weekend:
- Partied at Hugo's Lounge & then a dive bar by my apartment with the Pyrmont locals.
- Watched 3 highly entertaining episodes of Arrested Development
- Purchased my new DSRL. We're in the 'couple that just moved in together' stage.
- Walked around Hyde Park & Botanical Gardens
- Ate Mexican at Cafe Pacifico for Rachel's going away dinner.
- Worked out & inspired the Irish roommate to do the same. The silent guilt trip works, except on Sara. You know who you are. :-)
- Walked around Paddy's Market and got yelled at for taking a picture of fake sunglasses. Let's be honest, do I look like someone who's getting ready to start their own underground, counterfeit eye wear enterprise?
- Ate Yum Cha (a.k.a Dim Sum) at Din Tai Fung, which boasts to have the 'tastiest dumping in the world' made of crab meat & pork. It was quite tasty, but BBQ pork buns & shrimp dumplings are still #1 in my heart. Yes, I'm aware how American that sounds.
- Ate Yum Cha (a.k.a Dim Sum) at Din Tai Fung, which boasts to have the 'tastiest dumping in the world' made of crab meat & pork. It was quite tasty, but BBQ pork buns & shrimp dumplings are still #1 in my heart. Yes, I'm aware how American that sounds.
- Picnicked in the Botanical Gardens with the lovely Emily, Alex, Rachel, Hazel, Lindsey and some of Rachel's other friends.
- Ate horribly bad for me, calories-be-damned delicious Fish & Chips.
- Manicure. Glass of wine. Tea. Showed of all 70 of my new pictures to the roommate. No he did not have a choice.
Around Harbourside & Cockle Bay (by my apartment)
The bay near my apartment. To the left there's the Maritime Museum, north Sydney across the Harbour bridge and the Financial district to the right.
Nuts at Paddy's Market in Chinatown. Australia Cupcakes! They love cupcakes too!
Graffiti on St. Mary's Street
The crew at Rachel's going away party.
A view from the good old Goldsbrough apartments at night.
A view from the Botanical Gardens of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge.
The group
wow! HD close up!!!
ReplyDeleteglad i didn't have a massive pimple or something!!!!
Wow!... you really have a very nice and well organized blog! Good job! hope you continue enjoying your stay there :-)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe good ole dino died!! I guess Europe was the last he could handle. Honestly though, I'm gonna miss that tie-held, piece of ice age technology! Wish you could take a pic of your new partner in crime! :)
ReplyDeleteBy the way - the pictures are incredibly beautiful - sighhh
Thanks for all the comments! I try my best with the pictures.
ReplyDeleteAnd, yes the dinosaur is dead. I'm going through separation anxiety, but the new camera is quickly healing that. :-)